* I've changed the blog address from www.sarahsworld.me back to the original (badly chosen, but I'm stuck with it) address of www.kiwikchat.blogspot.com .

This means that some links to older posts and old links from other sites don't work. :(

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Another anti depressant bites the dust


It’s official Edronax also known as Reboxitine didn’t work for me.

It didn’t help with any of the reasons I took it, fatigue, sleep dysfunction, pain or depression. I struggled along with it for two months.  A decent trial period if ever there was one.

That was two months of not sleeping more than 5-6 hrs a night and never longer than 4hrs straight.  I woke up on average three times a night.

So after a decent cooling off period I am on a new pill, Doxepin (Deptran) and I can tell you already I know I’m in love.   I still have trouble getting to sleep but once asleep I stay asleep for at least 8 hours sometimes I even get 10 hours.

I love, love, love you Doxepin, and hope to never tire of your effect on me.

I’m still however on the fence to whether Doxepin helps as an anti-depressant.  I have secondary depression as do most people with M.E. and find that most days I cry a little and seemingly mild questions can set me off. 

Nurse: So are you working or studying?

Me: neither

Nurse: why’s that?

Me: (sob, gulp) umm I can’t. (sob gulp.) I have M.E.

Nurse: oh chronic fatigue

Me: (sob sob...how embarrassing I am crying AGAIN)

So it would be nice if the Doxepin takes the edge off the tears a little.  I am wary though because last time I was on a different tricyclic anti-depressant (amitriptyline) it made my emotions worse if anything.  You can read more about that here.

So this time round I am taking it slowly on a low dose of Doxepin (10mg) and hoping to keep this delightful old friend, sleep, in my life.    

Oh beautiful sleep, how I have missed you.

It might be a bit optimistic to report this already as I am only seven days in, but I think I am slowly improving overall. My heart rate average has dropped and today I wasn’t as light sensitive as ‘normal’.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Well that’s the latest news in my drug experimentation.

If you are also experimenting then I wish you the best of luck. 





Disclaimer: My body and body’s chemistry is no doubt different to yours (unless you are my clone and also have acquired M.E. which would make you doubly unlucky) so what works for me may not work for you and what hasn’t worked for me might still work for you.  Talk to your doctor before trying anything new.


6 comments:

  1. Hiya! I just found your blog via Sue Jackson's -what a gem she is and I can see you are similarly documenting what works for you which is just so great to read. I'm blogging about my 12 year old daughter who has been ill with CFS for 9 months now. I will be following your blog. It's great to find someone else in Australia blogging about this although I'm very sorry that you are ill. Best of luck on your journey and I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Annie,

    I've written back to you on your blog.

    I agree Sue Jackson is an absolute gem, and has given me lots of doctor fodder. :)

    Best of luck to you and your daughter xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Have written back on my blog too and thought I'd better let you know as I'm not sure if the tick box thingy for comment notification is working.... I'm learning a lot still! (Digital immigrant..not native!) Very glad we've found you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! I'm at home yet again and thought I'd write to you! It's lovely to meet you. I love the way you write and I definitely love the stories of your Dad. You're certainly inspiring me to write on my blog! it's a good feeling when you read about something on someones blog that just makes you go 'YES!! that's how I feel!' (not that i want you to feel that way) I hope this is one of your good days! Harriet xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Harriet, nice to meet you too.
    I'm glad you like the stories about Dad, I told him today about the blog posts (I knew I'd have to fess up eventually) and he was delighted and has given me some more Large Dad stories to share. He's always happy to entertain. It is bitter sweet finding someone who understands this nasty illness. I wish you didn't have it but I'm glad that you identify with my blog. I love yours too by the way and will head over there for a comment shortly.
    :) Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope it's okay that I added you to my blogroll and that there is some sunshine for you today.

    ReplyDelete