* I've changed the blog address from www.sarahsworld.me back to the original (badly chosen, but I'm stuck with it) address of www.kiwikchat.blogspot.com .

This means that some links to older posts and old links from other sites don't work. :(

Monday, August 8, 2011

Noise Control


I like the sound of children playing next door after school.  Listening as they laugh and run around.   It makes the world seem like a better place, a place where not everyone is sick and most people are busy with the art of living.

Yes life is good, the birds are chirping the kids are playing and the sun is shining.

Usually this is how I feel, but not today. Today is SUNDAY.

Behind us is a whipper snipper whizzing away and a dog is yelping continuously.  On one side my neighbor is cleaning and listening to doof doof music, their kids bouncing on the squeaky trampoline. 

So are the kids on the other side.

SQUEAK SQUEAK - YELP - WHIRR - WHIZZ - DOOF DOOF  - YELP - SQUEAK SQUEAK - WHIRR - WHIZZ - YELP - DOOF DOOF - WHIZZ - SQUEAK SQUEAK - DOOF DOOF - DOOF DOOF - SQUEAK - SQUEAK SQUEAK - SQUEAK - WHHIIZZZZ WHHHHIRRR - YEEELP - DOOF

My sense of serenity and calm disappears as fast as any neighborly goodwill.  I try to smile and think of the ‘imagined darling children’.  It doesn’t work.

I can’t block out the noises, I wish that the world was not such a nice place and noise was not allowed.  

I desperately need quiet. 

SQUEAK SQUEAK - YELP - WHIRR - WHIZZ - DOOF DOOF 

I start to fantasize about cutting holes in the trampolines, downing power lines and dogs in sacks in rivers. What I need is a stun gun.

Then I remember my earplugs.

 Ahh peace and quiet, maybe I don’t need to take action after all.

An hour later…

The kids next door start crying.  I pull out one ear plug (like the nosey neighbor I am) and listen.  The trampoline has broken and one of them has hurt his leg.

Victory is mine!

I started to feel unsettled.

Did I really do that?

Should I go apologise?




5 comments:

  1. You sound exactly like me! With and without this damn cfs! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear your peace and quiet were shattered. No, you're not a bad person, just someone with ME/CFS who can't take too much stimulation, just like the rest of us!

    We are headed to spend this weekend with my family - my large, noisy, extended family. They totally don't get why just being around a big group of people can be too much for me. So, yeah, I get it.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sipora and Sue,

    Thanks for your comments, glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles with noise sensitivity.

    Sadly they have fixed the trampoline already!

    :) Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant and very familiar.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete