* I've changed the blog address from www.sarahsworld.me back to the original (badly chosen, but I'm stuck with it) address of www.kiwikchat.blogspot.com .

This means that some links to older posts and old links from other sites don't work. :(

Monday, March 21, 2011

Job opportunities for me/cfs sufferers.

Lying on the couch, bored and tired I started to think about the ridiculous amount of time I spend lying on the couch bored and tired.  I am sure there a lot of chronically ill peeps out there who feel the same way so I've been thinking of jobs we could do...

Here are some ways that I think we spoonies could be useful.

1. Movie reviews.  
We tend to watch a lot more movies than busy healthy people and therefore must be experts.

eg. I just finished watching 'Orlando' and before that 'Oscar and Lucinda' borrowed from the local library and am looking forward to watching 'Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf'.  I would never have watched these without extreme boredom.

I rate Orlando with **.5 stars.  I couldn't figure out if Tilda Swinton was more attractive as a boy or girl.
Oscar and Lucinda with *.5 stars because well, it's bloody stupid building a glass church in the Aussie sun.

Now to find someone who will pay for these tremendous insights...

2. Book reviews.
Obviously chronically ill people read a lot. Just don't expect us to read anything too complex. We simply can't hold it in our addled heads, but if you have a trashy chick lit or murder detective novel, we are the right people for the job. Audio books welome.

3. Nail care.  
We have plenty of time on our hands and get good at manicures.  We would be a great source of opinions for market research.  Send us your samples!

eg. I have learnt to avoid 'child resitant caps' after doing my nails.  What about 'manicure friendly caps'?

4. Ergonomic designs.
Beds, pillows, cushions, supports, chairs, car seats, recliners etc. We spend a lot of time sitting or horizontal and are uniquely positioned to give feedback and advice to designers in regard to practical comfort.  Again, send us your samples!

We also know lots of people who need them, and can provide a great selling pipeline to a lot of unemployed sick people to whom money is no an object.

eg. I recently misplaced my eye-mask and discovered that tying a scarf around your head does keep out the light but also makes it hot and hard to breathe. What about a eye-mask on a long lanyard tied to the bed so you can't misplace it?! Or an eye-mask with a phone app that can always point to it like a compass.

5. Phone queuing. 
 Who has time to wait on the line for hours to sort out technical computer problems or wait in customer queues for cheap flights?  We do! If you have a list of jobs that need sorting and no time to wait on the phone then, call us, your local me/cfs community.  We have the time and, given a comfy bed or recliner and a speaker phone we will be happy to wait on line on your behalf.

 A small fee is involved of course and we will need sufficient personal information to convincingly pretend to be you and if a payment is to be made, your credit card details. Totally secure of course.

 (I have a feeling this could be a real money maker).

6. Current affairs experts.  
As avid tv watchers both daytime and evening, we are really on top of the latest events, add constant twittering to the equation and well yes I believe the spoonie community can become current affairs experts.  Only downside is that retention due to brain fog may limit expertise to the immediate, keeping it very current.

Hmm well that's all for now.  I must admit this may not be an exhaustive list but it has left me exhausted.

What jobs opportunities do you see for us spoonies?

:) Sarah


14 comments:

  1. Some great job ideas, but I really see myself heading more towards music reviewer or sound analyser.
    My evolution has accelerated so much since struck with CFS that my Ipod earphones are now an integral part of my body!
    Who am I to stand in the way of evolution! :-)
    Great post, raised a smile here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    Thanks for your comment, I'm glad my post made you smile. Music review or sound analyser..great idea.

    Now that you mention it I too am getting into music, I think it's the first time I have ever bothered to sort out play lists!

    :) good luck in the music industry, I hear it's a jungle out there.

    K
    ps i've thought of something else to do with analysing. We would also be great at checking movies for inconsistences/mistakes, I notice them all the time now eg. someones hair changes mid conversation or somesones eyebrows are uneven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could just get a bit more energy and stress tolerance back, I could do my job as a marketing analyst, copywriter, and editor again. I was doing it flat on my back on the couch for a while there!

    -Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how detrimental stress is for us chronically ill people. I can literally feel my body collapsing when under any stress. I used to be able to handle quite a bit. Now, nothing to less than nothing.

    I hope you feel a bit better soon so you can one of your three jobs again!

    :) K

    ReplyDelete
  5. There have been several people that I know who have turned towards graphic artist, after learning how to work a good system. It doesn't even have to be website designs. A lot of the kits I use to do the stuff I do are pay to use kits. And most of the stuff is made using the same program that I have. There are a few sites that are my staple places to check first when I want a new kit. Sites like Sweet Shoppe Designs, and Nit Wit Collections. But, there are a LOT of people who design and sell off of their personal sites too. Shabby Princess, DigiScrap Boutique...the list is almost endless.

    www.amessyhappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Monique,

    You are so right it is a good time to learn systems little bit by little bit. Thanks for sharing the sites you use, I do love the graphics on your blog.

    :) take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Kiwikchat -

    Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog and sharing your story!

    This is a great post! In fact, I write mini movie reviews every Monday on my CFS blog (Movie Mondays!) and I write book reviews for my book blog: www.bookbybook.blogspot.com

    What you described in your comment is very familiar to me (and to everyone else with CFS).

    What you're experiencing with the high heart rate is POTS, a part of OI. if you're not familiar with that, check out this post as well:

    http://livewithcfs.blogspot.com/2010/02/orthostatic-intolerance-and-cfs.html

    Lots of salt and fluids helps.

    Good luck with your doctor and please let us know how it goes!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment Sue, I do really enjoy your blog.
    I'm glad you enjoy doing movie/book reviews, it is nice to concentrate on the positives, like having the time to watch so many movies and books.

    I am still waiting and doing tests to do with the OI... at the moment waiting on blood tests, a 24hr urine test for serotonin, an ultrasound and a holter monitor...but I'm getting closer to some answers and treatment.

    In the meantime salt and fluids have made a bit difference. :)

    Cheers K

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) I'm a comfort bra tester at the moment but I seem to be spending money finding the right one instead of being paid to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked this post.

    While quite ill with severe ME, I had a great ME job for a while. I was carer of a guy who was a quadruplegic.

    My job was just to sit or lay around in a chair or lay by his bed, if I had night shift.. I got paid to just sleep by his bed as he slept.

    All the guy did all day was watched TV (I didnt have to cook meals or anything for him except get him the occassional drink a few times a day). He didnt like to talk so I didnt even have to worry about holding social conversations with him either.

    I did this almost perfect ME job for a while. (I only left as he was very verbally abusive and unfortunately liked to yell at times).

    So yeah.. consider being paid to sleep some where.

    taniaaust1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is the ideal job for an MEer. Will sleep for a fee :) . Shame though that he was verbally abusive, it's never worth hanging around someone who is in any way shape or form abusive.

      Delete
  11. I currently have a job as a parking attendant at a mostly automated garage on campus. Sleeping isn't exactly allowed and it doesn't pay enough to cover medical expenses or student loans but, I can prop my feet up and rest the whole time if I'm having a bad day symptom-wise, not to mention read health articles and blogs if I've got the focus for it. ;D I'm also starting a second job for a market research company (what you suggested from the opposite side of the phone line). It's really sapping me but, maybe I'll learn something useful to creating a research pool from the MECFS community.

    As for new skills, I've found I can tell if someone's having a cognitive problem as happens as a result of MECFS, seizures,ect. just by listening to the timing and pausing of their speech. For example, one of my professors has had mild post-viral CFS-like symptoms for many years but had believed their persistence was part of the "normal" glandular fever experience (or that she was the only odd case) until I began talking openly with her about my experiences with it. Of course, I only brought it up because I could hear something of it in her speech during lectures. This makes me wonder if linguistic analysis could be used as a less expensive diagnostic marker for confirming the existence/degree of cognitive impairment in persons with MECFS.

    Thanks for your cheery blog. I enjoyed reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to repky to this one ages ago. ..I completely agree. :) thanks for reading

      Delete