* I've changed the blog address from www.sarahsworld.me back to the original (badly chosen, but I'm stuck with it) address of www.kiwikchat.blogspot.com .

This means that some links to older posts and old links from other sites don't work. :(

Saturday, February 26, 2011

10 Fringe benefits of me/cfs.

I'm having a philosophical day today and wanted to share some of the fringe benefits I've spotted while having me/cfs.  They may seem trivial but hey they are all we've got!

1. Skin care.  I don't think my skin has ever been this good, after years of abuse in the sun, salt and wind it is finally getting a break.  In theory we should all have milky white A-list skin after a couple of years inside.  Be careful though it might be a good idea to ask for a Vit D test next time you get some bloodwork done.

2. Traffic Jams.  I can't remember the last time I was in one, except for doctor trips I don't go far.  One stress less, on the down side I don't get to sing tunelessly to the car radio anymore.  Maybe I need a shower radio...

3.  Expert knowledge of day time tv without the guilt.  I can now watch daytime tv without feeling like I should be doing something else, because more often than not I can't do anything else.

4. Writing a blog.  Seriously I would never have gotten around to it without the forced rest and isolation caused by me/cfs. (this may be a negative if I am boring you with my blogs..if that's the case... bugger off)

5. Time with family, I am getting serious quality time with my folks, which after years away is something precious to me and not to be taken for granted. (ask me again in 6 months)

6. Patience, lets face it there is no choice but to be patient patients!

7. Doctor surgery magazines, I haven't bought a magazine in ages as my local GP's office has great mags.

8. Books, same with guilt free tv, now I can read as much as I want/can without that nagging, should be doing something else, feeling.

9. Great nails, this might not go for everyone else, but for the first time in my life I have been able to grow my nails.  I think because my work was so hands on they were always weak and I bit them.  Now with so much time on my hands ('scuse the pun) I've finally quit.

10. The world is waiting.  That's right folks there is a spot in the world waiting for you to get better and fill, no matter how long that takes.  I know this because every now and again I poke my head out and have a look, yep the world is still out there.

What are your 'fringe benefits' unique to having a chronic illness?


2 comments:

  1. I've noticed my nails seem to grow really quickly! Or perhaps I lose track of time?!?
    Maybe quick growing nails is one benefit of my truck load of vitamins/supplements/medications : >

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Trin, I've managed to stop biting them and have had to cut them for the first time in years. combination of supplements and lack of hard work!
    :)

    ReplyDelete