* I've changed the blog address from www.sarahsworld.me back to the original (badly chosen, but I'm stuck with it) address of www.kiwikchat.blogspot.com .

This means that some links to older posts and old links from other sites don't work. :(

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Back to work at Christmas.

Hi all hope you are having a happy holiday season!

I'd like to start by wishing fellow sufferer's some good will.  You are not alone.

I hope to connect with more like minded people and to raise awareness of ME/CFS.

I work as a cook on a sailing yacht, with my boyfriend, for a very lovely gentleman  who has been understanding of my reduced energy levels.  

Some of the energy saving tricks and changes on board:
- One course meals instead of three course meals and occasionally I serve toasted sandwiches for lunch.
- I went to bunnings hardware store and bought clear plastic covers to put over the table cloths.
-  I use a pressure cooker and use it to make easy 'impressive stew/casserole style dishes" like, lamb shanks or osso bucco. I always make double and freeze it.
-  Simpler foods eg. cold seafood or even the occasional spag bog
- Guests make their own beds, I still change the linens but only once a week, not every three days.
-   I bought a tray so I don't have to walk up and down so many stairs when setting the table, which saves energy and pain especially when my knees hurt.
- I shop online for groceries
- I even drive the boat more during manouvering and the skipper does the lines and moves the fenders.

I have heard that you have to get back all the sleep you miss in your lifetime at some stage.  Well after having Chronic fatigue since May and pacing since September, I must be close to catching up.   I hope.

I had a month off before Christmas to help get over an operation and am now back at work. I'm very tired not sure if I will be able to cope but am going to give it another couple of months.  I really want to keep my job.

Christmas was a quiet affair onboard, I bought pre-cooked lobster, oysters, trout pate, christmas pudding and custard and cooked only potatoes and sweet corn. 

It was perfect and almost effortless.

How was your Christmas, what did you do differently this year?

Take care and remember to pace.
xx Sarah

3 comments:

  1. I have lupus and fibro and suffer with fatigue often. I LOVE this analogy! I'd like to share this blog post, if you don't mind, on my Facebook page: A Lupie Existence www.facebook.com/pages/A-Lupie-Existence/185010664849037

    Check out my blog: www.aLupieExistence.blogspot.com when you get a chance!

    I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! I commented on the wrong post! Heh heh heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had CFS for 25 years and 3 months. I kicked it within about 3 months! I live here in Vancouver, Canada. It doesn't have to be this way my friend. Do you suspect it is something you eat? Yes, it is. Have you read any of the Zone books by Dr Barry Sears? How he talks about hormonal balance and inflammation? Have you noticed that all the supplements and stuff we take didn't work?
    I am irked about the myths that CFS can't be beat. I am sure you have read about some famous people getting CFS and kicking it within 2 years. Like Burt Reynolds, Cher to name a couple. I am irked that I had it for so long and didn't have to. Anyways, if you want to know what I learned from the Zone books, here is my email: rickthelearner@gmail.com
    Best wishes:
    Rick

    ReplyDelete